To the Constituents of Michigan Republican legislators:
Sen. Randy Richardville, R-Monroe; Sen. Tory Rocca, R-Sterling Heights; Sen. Jim Marleau, R-Lake Orion; Sen. Mike Kowall, R-White Lake; Sen. Roger Kahn, R-Saginaw; Sen. Geoff Hansen, R-Hart; Sen. Howard Walker, R-Traverse City; Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba, Rep. Lisa Posthumus Lyons, R-Alto; Rep. Dave Pagel, R-Berrien Springs; Rep. Amanda Price, R-Holland; and Rep. Ken Yonker, R-Caledonia.
My name is Steve Mace. I’m the Vice Chairman of the Libertarian Party of Michigan (LPM).
The executive board and members of the LPM fully understand that many of you woke up this morning feeling exceptionally betrayed – betrayed by Representatives and Senators who deceived you into believing that they opposed government waste. They told us they were fiscal conservatives.
They destroyed that ‘promise’ last night when they voted to massively expand an extremely broken system as the state Senate passed HB4714, aka ‘SnyderCare’ – an essential mechanism of the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act” (PPACA), aka ‘ObamaCare.’
We understand, and we feel your pain. As the two parties in the House and Senate shift more and more to becoming essentially one party, we want to reach out to you, the Voter. We want to let you know there’s a party in Michigan truly dedicated to fiscal conservatism and transparency – the Libertarian Party of Michigan.
It’s time for Lansing to stop wasting our hard-earned money. It’s time to send a very real, very clear message to Lansing. It’s time to begin sending Representatives and Senators to the Legislature who will be there to represent your values, your common sense. It’s time to elect people who put you first.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that there are many misconceptions about what the LPM stands for. Many of these myths were created by the other parties that feel threatened by those who do not put party allegiance before common sense, and before voters.
These are hurdles for us to clear. But I would encourage you to visit our website and see for yourself what our platform is. At the following link: http://michiganlp.org/?page_id=53.
Our message is clear:
- Fiscal responsibility: End government waste of your money. It’s not the government’s money… it’s yours! Without you, the government has no funds.
- Fiscal transparency: You have every right to know where and what your money is being spent on, at all times.
- Lower taxes: Government has become addicted to your hard-earned money. Government needs to be weaned from it. End the strangulation of Michigan Taxpayers and small businesses.
- Liberty and Freedom: Simply put, what you do is your business. What you believe is your right. So long as you are not infringing on another’s Liberty and Freedom, the government has no place managing your life.
Rather straightforward. And it always has been.
We understand that the Democrats and Republicans will do all they can to prevent you from hearing other candidate’s opinions and platforms. They will (and have) prevented others from engaging in public debates. They dismiss others as irrelevant, making you believe that you only have two choices.
I would encourage you to weigh the opinions and positions of all the candidates. See through the smoke and mirrors of the two-party system, and those who advocate limiting your choices at the voting booth.
It’s time for a new course for Michigan. It’s time for new voices in the Legislature. It’s time for We, the People, to take back our government from those who continue to be deceptive about what they really stand for.
In 2014, I strongly encourage you to look into all the candidates for State Representative in your community. I’m not asking you for your vote; that’s the job of the candidates.
Here’s what I am asking you to do:
- If you’ve joined the ranks of the tens of thousands of your fellow Michiganders who have come to the conclusion that being betrayed year after year, time and time again, is no longer acceptable, then take a fair and objective look at the LPM candidates. Hear them out. Weigh them on their own merits – then send your message at the voting booth.
- There is no such thing as a ‘wasted vote’. There is no such thing as ‘it won’t make a difference.’ When your true voice is heard in the Legislature, your vote has counted.
Thank you for your time. And whenever you have any suggestions, feedback or a question, the executive team of the Libertarian Party of Michigan will be glad to help you.
Libertarian Party of Michigan