November 23, 2004
- Upcoming Events
- The Patriot Act Hits Close To Home
- Upcoming Events
November 24, 2004 - 6:30 PM
- Libertarian Party of Oakland County general membership meeting. Meeting starts at 7:30. Optional dinner starts at 6:30.
- Location: Sila's Restaurant, 4033 W. Twelve Mile, Berkley, 2 blocks east of Greenfield.
- Contact: Nathan Allen Phone: (248) 891-3003 E-mail: Chair@LpocMi.org
December 2, 2004 - 7:30 PM
- Libertarian Party of Washtenaw County Monthly Business Meeting. Dinner at 7pm, meeting 7:30pm.
- Location: The back room of Cubs' AC Restaurant (located in the Colonial Lanes Bowling Center) at 1950 S Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor.
- Contact: Jeff Weber Phone: (734) 434-6486 E-mail: email@example.com
December 8, 2004 - 6:00 PM
- The Libertarian Party of Southwestern Michigan will hold our monthly Executive Committee Meeting on Wednesday December 8th at 6:00pm. The public is always welcome.
- Location: IHOP 1981 Pipestone Road Benton Harbor, Mi 49022
- Contact: Jason Gatties Phone: (269) 465-6725 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
December 9, 2004 - 7:00 PM
- Libertarian Party of West Michigan monthly meeting.
- Location: Club North Banquet Room at 1359 Plainfield NE; just North of Leonard in Grand Rapids.
- Contact: Membership Director Steve Van Til Phone: (616) 738-2807 E-mail: email@example.com
December 11, 2004 - 6:00 PM
- LPOC Annual Holiday Party, all LPM members, their family and friends are invited. Please join us for this festive occasion. There is no charge, just bring yourself a dish to pass, and BYOB. Please sign up at: http://lpocmi.org/Holiday/2004/
- Location: Home of Sara Sjoberg 3215 North Altadena Avenue Royal Oak, Michigan 48073 South off of 13 Mile Road, between Campbell and Rochester Roads
- Contact: Nathan Allen Phone: (248) 891-3003 E-mail: chair@Lpocmi.org
December 12, 2004 - 12:00 PM
- Regular Executive Committee Meeting of the LPM. All dues paying members are welcome to attend.
- Location: LPM State Office 913 W. Holmes Road; Southwind Office Park - Conference Room Lansing, MI 48910
- Contact: Mike Donahue, Chairman, LPM Phone: (313) 837-9082 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
February 26, 2005 - 6:00 PM
- Freedom Dinner 2005 hosted by the Tri-City Libertarian Party
- Location: The Grand Banquet & Conference Center, Essexville, MI
- Contact: Rae Jozwiak Phone: (989) 922-5226 E-mail: email@example.com
- For more events, see the online calendar at:
- The Patriot Act Hits Close To Home by Jason Gatties-LP of SW Michigan Chairman
Ibrahim Parlak, owner of Cafe Gulistan in Harbert,
Michigan, was taken into custody by the Department of
Homeland Security on July 29, 2004 on the grounds that his
activism for Kurdish rights in Turkey in the 1980s make him
a threat to national security.
He was detained based on charges from a Turkish
military court, for which he already served his sentence in
Turkey in the late 1980s. He came to the U.S. 13 years ago
and was granted political asylum based on the fact that he
was persecuted and tortured in Turkey, but now the DHS is
calling him a threat to national security for the very same
reasons he was previously granted asylum. No circumstances
have changed nor has new information surfaced since the US
gave Parlak asylum, and he has no criminal record or
violations during his time in the U.S.
Parlak possibly faces deportation to Turkey, where he
will be at risk of harm or even death. He is an active
contributing member of our society, who brings employment
and culture to our community and donates time and money to
local causes. He holds pacifist beliefs and does not support
or endorse violent means to any political ends.
The Libertarian Party of Southwestern Michigan would
like everyone who believes in FREEDOM and believes the USA
Patriot Act violates the U.S.Constitution, we ask that you
get involved and help Ibrahim and others in his situation,
who are being held hostage by the Patriot Act.
Ibrahim's hearing is set for Tuesday December 7th at
9am in Detroit. For more information regarding this hearing,
please visit http://www.cafegulistan.com. If you would like
to get involved and show support towards Ibrahim's cause,
please visit the "Free Ibrahim" section of the Libertarian
Party of Southwestern Michigan website located at
Back to Contents
Created with NewsNet Pipeline - The Online Newsletter Connector
Return to News Archive
Return to LP of Michigan Home Page